Natural Thatch Reed Panels are one of Safari’s most popular products, and has an overall rich golden hue, with green and brown hints throughout. Once installed provides a distinct “stepped” appearance. This long lasting and rugged thatching material provides significantly cooler shade than other alternatives, and is ideal for anything from garden umbrellas and bars, to theme park pagodas and attractions.!
- Appearance: Made from Southern African Cape Reed, or Dekriet (Thamnochortus family of reeds). This natural thatch has a rich golden hue, with some pale greens and rich brown flecks throughout. Once installed provides a distinct “stepped” appearance
- Grade (Int. vs. Ext.): Perfect for exterior applications, this product can easily be used indoors as well.
- Comm. vs. Res: Both
- Fire Protection: Achieves a full Class-A fire rating when Safari’s fire retardants are applied by a qualified technician such as our subcontractors or our manufacturing department.
- Durability: Quite durable, expect 5-6 years of life in hot and humid climates like south Florida. In drier climates such as Arizona, customers have reported life spans as long as 10 to 12 years.
- Size: standard panel: 31″ x 17.5″ x 1″ thick
- Ease of Installation: Quick and easy to install (typically at 12″ O.C.). Panels can be nailed or stapled onto battens/purlins for a custom roof, or can be supplied with clips and simply “clipped” onto Safari’s range of umbrellas. Minimum suggested pitch is 30 deg. The steeper the pitch, the longer the lifespan, while a pitch less than 30 deg will reduce the lifespan of your thatch.
- Materials: Southern African Cape Reed, also called Dekriet or Albertinia thatch reed, and a polyurethane binding strip