Elephant Grass Rolls are traditional Bali-style thatch, that Safari has made more user friendly by producing in in 20ft rolls that conform the the shape of any roof quite easily. This elegant thatch rustles gently in the wind and immediately conjures up images of the south pacific, hammocks, and mai tai’s. While soft and flowing, the thatch is actually very hardy, and when used with our Thatchlock netting system (see related products below), can withstand very high wind and heavy rain remarkably well. Elephant grass is extremely easy to install, and can be densely layered to create a substantial, watertight, and long lasting roof.
- Appearance: A very light and wispy grass thatch. Creates an elegant softness that rustles gently in the wind. True Bali-style type of thatch.
- Grade (Int. vs. Ext.): Great for both interior and exterior applications
- Comm. vs. Res: Both
- Fire Protection: Achieves a full Class-A fire rating when Safari’s fire retardants are applied by a qualified technician such as our subcontractors or our manufacturing department.
- Durability: Quite durable, expect 5-6 years of life in hot and humid climates like south Florida, and up to double that in arid conditions.
- Size: 20 lineal ft roll. Grass length is approximately 3’6″, but this length can be affected slightly by growing seasons and rainfall. It is recommended that Elephant grass be layered every 6″, which provides 10sq ft of coverage per roll.
- Ease of Installation: Extremely easy install, simply nail or staple through the fabric binding strip that is stitched along the top edge of the roll, and into your rafters or battens
- Color: A light wheat color that slowly silvers over time in areas in direct sun and rain. unexposed areas, such as the ceiling, will retain its golden wheat color.
- Materials: Cogon Grass.